Children of Laos, Burma & Thailand

Melbourne Time

Thailand Time

Click On Your Flag To Translate

Thailand and Laos (and Myanmar if I can manage it)

Hello, Sawatdee kaa and Sabai dee,

My next trip will be Thailand and Laos, and this is all about the before, the trip and the after - similar to my Malaysia/Cambodia blog. I am putting together from start to finish - tickets, do's and don'ts, tours, where to stay, places to see, things to do, as well as useful extras like transport, good places to eat, what to wear, climate, tourist traps, tricks and tips and whatever else I can think of that will be useful.

If you have any tips or advice, please, feel free to leave a comment and add your bit - whatever you think may be helpful or interesting.
Cheers.


Thailand map


View Bangkok Thailand in a larger map

Playlist - My Travel Videos

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

42. Chiang Khong or Huay Xai?

Which should I choose?

I am booked on the Nagi of Mekong for Wednesday 16th February which departs Huay Xai at 9.00am. I can either spend the night of the 15th in Huay Xai (Laos) and make my way to the boat landing or, opt to stay on the Thai side of the border in either Chiang Khong or book accommodation with Mr. Adisak's place at Baan Nai Sra Resort. The cost of this option is an extra 1000 Baht on top of the boat price.

This includes - One night accommodation at Baan Nai Sra, home cooked dinners & breakfasts. Transfer from the resort to the Thai immigration office on the cruise day, visa / immigration assistance and luggage handling. Lao visa & immigration forms will be given to you at the resort.

Below are the two choices I'm considering.


Above: Sabaydee Guesthouse
Guesthouse in Huay Xai

Above: Baan Nai Sra Resort
Accommodation Baan Sri Lanna - House in the Pond. I've been told the village of Sri Lanna is 21 km south of Chiang Khong on the Thoen road (rte.1020) Above photo from Mr. Adisak, owner/manager of Nagi of Mekong

Cost
A room at Sabaydee Guesthouse is 70,000 kip, or AUD$8.78
Baan Nai Sri is 1,000 Baht, or AUD$33.18 - a difference of $24.40. Even allowing for meals, Sabaydee still works out cheaper. But....I think I like the idea of the other one, mainly because of concerns I still have about the Nagi. I suppose you could say I think I would feel more secure. Secure that is in the knowledge that the boat will run and the Nagi will be what it is said to be. So - what to do? Do I stay in Huay Xai or not? Personally, I'd like to stay in Laos the night before - sort or builds the excitement of actually being in Laos and sailing down the Mekong.

On the other hand, Mr. Adisak's resort does look idyllic - a real little gem and a lovely place to relax.

The phrase "sailing down the Mekong" has thrilled me when I have read it in the past, why, I'm not too sure. Maybe because it fills one with a sense of adventure, a sense of doing something of days gone by in a far distant land. Well, whatever it is, I want to do it. As for accommodation? Well - I'll think about it a bit more before committing. Actually, I've thought about it a bit more and decided to stay at Baan Nai Sri Resort. All I have to do now is make a booking, which I will do a bit later on today. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...